Did you know that exercise can slow down the aging process?
One way to stay physically active is to get involved in a SilverSneakers program in your area.
Let’s take a look at what the program is and how it can help you.
What’s SilverSneakers all about?
It’s a fitness program that’s specifically designed to encourage older adults to maintain their health through a wide range of fitness activities.
Social activities are also a part of the program, which is a huge benefit for mental wellness, too.
You can join SilverSneakers by obtaining a membership that can be used at any of the 11,000+ fitness centers that participate.
What are the benefits of staying fit?
Fitness is important at any age, but it’s especially critical as you reach retirement age and beyond.
Here are some of the biggest advantages of physical activity:
- Maintain independence for a longer period of time. For example, regular exercise reduces the risk of falls, broken bones and other injuries.
- Lower risk of early death. Staying active reduces your chances of coronary disease, developing high blood pressure, colon cancer and diabetes.
- Reduce blood pressure. This applies to those who already have a diagnosis of hypertension.
- Improve strength and stamina. You could improve recovery time from illness or injury.
- Improve mental health. Exercise is a natural mood booster, and it can help with the symptoms of anxiety and depression.
- Helps with joint issues. Joint pain and swelling are common with ailments such as arthritis.
Any of the activities that you choose to do with SilverSneakers will help you to stay in shape and improve your chances of enjoying these benefits for years to come.
What’s special about SilverSneakers?
You don’t have to be a member of SilverSneakers to stay physically fit, but it’s a whole lot more fun.
- Not only can you take part in any of the amenities provided by the fitness facility, but you can also take SilverSneakers classes such as yoga, tai chi and Latin dance.
- The social aspect of SilverSneakers is a great benefit. It’s a community that encourages and motivates each other to stay on track and work together toward maintaining wellness.
What’s included with a membership?
The membership allows you to enjoy the services offered by any of the participating fitness centers, plus some extra perks.
- Program advisors help you understand all you need to know about the facilities and the benefits they provide.
- You get access to special events and seminars that are related to health, fitness and overall wellness.
- A program for those who don’t live close to a participating facility called SilverSneakers Steps that provides resources such as handbooks and pedometers.
What about SilverSneakers and Medicare?
Medicare Parts A and B don’t cover a SilverSneakers membership, but your Medicare Advantage plan or Medicare Supplement Insurance might.
If the SilverSneakers program is important to you, talk with UROne about plans that offer the membership. We’ll help you find the coverage and resources you need.